Saturday, November 7, 2015

What is evanometrica?

Now that I have completed my PhD, I find myself with some excess free time. In this free time, I am rediscovering old hobbies, such as reading for fun, and identifying new hobbies, such as playing with computers. Because I find these activities so interesting, I figure others might also.

In my final year of graduate school, I spent hour after hour writing and rewriting. I hope I picked up a skill; one that I don't think I was very good at previously. In my current job, I don't have to write very much. In an attempt to make sure my skills don't degrade, I figured I would start a blog. 

So what exactly is the blog about? Well, its about evanometrica: the data, statistics, and economics of all things evan. I am still not exactly sure what this will mean, but I do have a couple of ideas.  I imagine posts will be broken down into roughly four frequently over-lapping categories: data, economics, books, and sports. 


I am a data scientist and generally a data nerd. I spend my whole work day programming and playing with data. Then, I come home and mentor students in data science and frequently work on projects of my own. In the next couple of months, I have an idea for a project that intend to kick-off (more about that in a future post) and I plan to bring you a long for the ride. I may from time to time also bloviate on the current state of data science.  

My Ph.D. was in public policy, where I studied economics. Though I have changed industries, I am still fascinated by economics and policy. I hope to keep up my knowledge by reading an academic paper every couple of weeks, and practice my communication skills and critical thinking by posting my thoughts here. Additionally, I may occasionally weigh in on the news of the day.

The biggest thing I have rediscovered since leaving school (other than enjoying time with my wife) is reading for pleasure. So far this year, I have read 20 books, mostly non-fiction. I find that a great book can really suck me in. A single good book can effect my thinking on a variety of topics. In quickly moving from one book the next, what seems like an epiphany is often forgotten a few weeks later.  Writing about what I am reading will allow me to work though my thoughts, and also keep a public record of what I am thinking.

Finally, I am fan of sports. I love many of the San Francisco Bay Area teams: the Giants, the 49ers, and the Warriors. Being an economists and a data scientist, I frequently have a unique take on sports. Importantly, I recognize the heavy dose of randomness in a sporting event, and think that analyzing sports is an attempt to pull signal from noise.  When I have a unique take or a new idea, especially those that are influenced by my interest in economics and data, I will probably share it here. And, when the Giants win in 2016 (remember, I am a data scientist and know a trend when I see one), I will probably have some less intelligent things to say.

I also listen to a ton of podcasts, play board games, like good meals and IPA's.  I wouldn't be too surprised these work their way into the content from time to time.

I anticipate there will be ton of overlap between these topics. The books I read often relate to policy or sports. The data I explore is frequently related to sports or economics. This overlap is evanometrica: the data, statistics, and economics of all things evan. Hopefully, those of you that find these things as interesting I do will like this blog. And even if you don't, maybe you just like me enough to read this anyway.

Thanks everyone, I am excited to see where this goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment